Say “gotta”, “wanna” or “gonna” in English speaking


How often do people say “gotta”, “wanna” or “gonna” in English speaking countries?

 

  • got|ta /g'ɒtə/
    Gotta is used in written English to represent the words 'got to' when they are pronounced > informally, with the meaning 'have to' or 'must'.
    Prices are high and our kids gotta eat.
  • wan|na /w'ɒnə/
    Wanna is used in written English to represent the words 'want to' when they are pronounced informally.
    I wanna be married to you. Do you wanna be married to me?
  • gon|na /g'ɒnə, AM g'ɔːnə/
    Gonna is used in written English to represent the words 'going to' when they are pronounced informally.
    Then what am I gonna do?

Here are my questions:
  1. How often are these words used in oral English?
  2. Are they only used in informal speech/conversations?
  3. Do educated people also use these words?


 1.  I gotta say, you might wanna add hafta to this list..
 2.  I’ve never heard gonna pronounced /g'ɒnə/. It’s usually /'gʌnə/ (homophone of gunner in many non-rhotic accents) or /'gənə/.

























Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment